Thursday, December 16, 2004

Why Florist? What's in a name?

It seems that my choice of nickname is not sitting well with many of my friends. Here is a snippet from an email that I received today:

"why florist.. i wud have thought u wud be Sikorski or Bell 47 or T58.. u know, but u came up with Florist; c'mon! let me repeat..

C"MON! F L O R I S T.. man, that 's too .. um, what's the word.. chick-flicky, romantic-sweet-puppy , charming prince-jude-law... well, i give up .. there's no word for it."

Looks like I should have been more serious with choosing an online identity. However, I am sticking by it. And to those who still are wondering, I respond...

Juliet:
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's a Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd.
Retain thy dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.
(Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Act II Scene II)

Well, I suppose this only serves to ostracize me further? But think about it, anyone quoting Shakespeare deserves a "girly" name like Florist.

1 comment:

Maccanena said...

Oh, come on, there is nothing wrong with that name... I like it. Not only that, I think it is a very noble name. To explain myself, I will use the movie "Bed of roses" as an example. In it, Christian Slater plays a guy who, after his wife dies, abandons his top career to open a flower shop, because he finds happiness in seeing the joy of people when they receive flowers.