Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Of wedding invitations

My wife and I were discussing our wedding invitations today, or rather what our invitations should say. For those of you who are scratching your head and wondering, "why do you worry about the text on your wedding invitations after you are married? Obviously, you're married, otherwise you cannot call her your wife." Good job, Sherlock, but ours isn't anything like a traditional wedding. We decided to do away with the traditional ceremony, and just got married at the courthouse. Now we are planning a wedding reception, which will (hopefully) happen in the next six months. These invitations are for the wedding reception.

We started out with the traditional stuff. My wife prefers the usage: "The presence of your company is requested...", and I prefer the usage: "... request the pleasure of your company..." A google-fight of the two usages shows that the latter is more prevalent. Any opinions?

Anyway, this got me thinking of all the various wordings in invitations I think I've come across so far...

"... invite you to join us in blessing the couple as they embark..."

"... share their happiness as they begin their journey of life as partners..."

"... celebrate their union as they exchange vows..."

etc. Although I don't think I've ever come across this,

"... celebrate their license to fornicate under state and religious sanction..." (My wife likes this one especially. Too bad, we cannot go with this.)

I wonder why.

Oh, anyone who stumbles on this page, please leave suggestions for our invitation wording in the comments if you happen to read this within one month of the posting date. As for the funny, outlandish invitation wordings that you can think of... you can leave them on the comments section anytime.

2 comments:

Maccanena said...

I don't envy you at all, having just gone through it a few months ago. And I did it in three languages! I had a list I found somewhere online, mostly for the english ones as I had no idea how to word them, but I deleted it already.
Ours went: "Luis and Maria request the honor of your presence at their marriage on Saturday ... A dinner reception will take place at ..." Although I am starting to wonder if the printer changed wedding for marriage, or missed ceremony... mmm... too late now :)
But as i told you before, it is your wedding, write it your way, and forget about the million opinions of people who say it is wrong.

A very funny one I got recently, for the sister of a friend who married a week after me in Poland: it was the description of a theatre play, the wedding, with the actors being the bride and groom, the guests where the extras, etc. Very funny!

Florist said...

it was the description of a theatre play, the wedding, with the actors being the bride and groom, the guests where the extras, etc.

That is quite clever. Sort of like Shakespeare's poem which started "All the world's a stage..."