Friday, April 22, 2005

A lot like rant...

So I was watching TV this evening, which is not entirely unlike any other evening because if I am home I am mostly sitting in front of the idiot box. I have noticed that this is something most normal people frown upon. It gives me the feeling that most people believe that one must be a good-for-nothing, unimaginative, artless bloke if you can get entertained by something that is playing on TV. But what about indignation? Is it ok if instead of being entertained I am, what is the word I am thinking of here... something along the lines of indignated? I have a friend who frowns upon the fact that whenever I am in a room I don't turn up the lights so that the luminosity matches that of a bright, sunny Sunday afternoon. Err.. why a Sunday afternoon? What do you mean? Why not Saturday, Monday... or any other day of the week? Heck, why not just a bright, sunny afternoon? Good question. But I digress... so I ask him/her (all identities are protected in this blog... Oh! Who am I kidding, of course, you know it is a girl... You are stereotyping! Well, it makes the rant more provoking. You were supposed to do that with radical ideas. I am running low on radical ideas right now.

Once again, I digress... so I ask her, "Now why would I need bright lighting when all I am doing is watching television? Isn't it a good thing that I turn off unnecessary lights and save power and do my bit towards protecting the environment?" And she replies, "If you want to save power turn off that idiot box." Now what sort of a suggestion is that? Aside from the fact that the power consumed in lighting the room to a luminosity of a bright, sunny afternoon, see it doesn't have the same ring to it as a bright, sunny Sunday afternoon, is much more than that consumed by the TV, but more importantly... sure I take her suggestion and turn off the idiot box... and then what? Stare at the room which is as bright as a bright, sunny Sunday afternoon? Yes, I could read... but show me a Japanese or a French book with English subtitles so that I can read and assimilate thoughts and ideas from different cultures. Until you can do that, shut up about my TV viewing habits.

Oy! Looks like I ended up ranting about something completely different than what I set out to rant about. This evening I was watching TV as usual... there was this movie Pleasantville playing on, I think, TBS and they had promos for a new release "A lot like love" during the commerical breaks. So like they had this you know like an interview with the stars or something and I was like oh my god she is so hot and that is so cute and all that... (err... sorry wrong character, I am being myself here) and it had me wondering. The plot, from their discussion, seemed non-existent. All they could talk about is how much fun they had on the set and how the hero/heroine is such a wonderful person and how they became fast friends over the making of the movie. How is that relevant? When did the fun they had on the sets become a barometer of the quality of the plot and how much fun I, as a potential movie watcher, will have? By the same yardstick, the videos I shot during my trip to the Grand Canyon must win the best picture at the Oscars, that is how much fun we had during that trip. Yes siree bob!

1 comment:

Maccanena said...

You forgot SUMMER... bright, sunny SUMMER Sunday afternoon... :)
Nothing bright about a winter afternoon, given that it gets dark while you're still having the "after-lunch" coffee...